Issue #15799 has been updated by jonathanhefner (Jonathan Hefner).

Eregon (Benoit Daloze) wrote:

> Also, if we actually introduce a pipeline operator, I think it's much more useful to have Elixir semantics of passing the result as the first argument of the RHS, than just a different syntax for `.`.

I agree that the pipeline operator should introduce new semantics, instead of being an alias of `.`.

While Elixir uses `|>` to insert a first argument to the RHS, F# and Elm use `|>` to append a last argument to the RHS (due to different conventions regarding function parameter order).

One use-case for such "last argument" behavior in Ruby is file IO:

```ruby
File.read("file.txt").gsub(/foo/, "bar") |> File.write "file.txt"
```

Of course it gets tricky when option arguments are involved.  But perhaps kwargs could be handled specially, such that the LHS of `|>` is inserted before them.  For example, the following would both work as expected:

```ruby
File.read("other.txt") |> File.write "file.txt", mode: "a"
```
```ruby
File.read("other.txt") |> File.write "file.txt", **options
```

Feature #15799: pipeline operator