Issue #15863 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I do not know how Hash#extract from Active* works but the name does not make to me
a whole lot of sense to me; however had, we have Hash#slice already so I guess it may
make sense to add .slice!; and if so, it may make sense to add it for ENV as
ENV is very hash-like. But I may miss something altogether - this may be best
to actually suggest to the upcoming developer meeting, since it is a fairly small
request/possible change, anyway. (I don't feel I should add it myself because
you suggested it so you should be in control over as to whether you want to
suggest it or not - that is not my decision what you make of course. :))

The next meeting is at:

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15782

As for behaviour - this is not necessarily specific to your proposal alone,
but I think ruby users will expect that the trailing "!" indicates a warning
or rather an operation that may be "dangerous" or have side effects - the most
usual one being modifying the receiver in place (or something like that). Not
all methods have a trailing !, for example, replace() on class String. I think
the bottom line is that matz wanted a simple visual cue/indicator for ruby.

So I think whatever the feature request or desired change, I think the most
natural assumption would be that a variant with ! will do precisely the same
as the non-! variant, as action, but without modifying the object at hand.
It is for this reason that I believe that .slice! could (or should) not model
any other behaviour than what .slice() is doing right now. But as said, I may
be missing something; perhaps there was a reason .slice!() was not added,
I would not know.

Feature #15863: Add `Hash#slice!` and `ENV.slice!`