Issue #15854 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

> I suggest a feature "tracing instance variable assignment"

I love introspection. The old pickaxe had an example tracing global variables, and
it would seem nice if we could extend this to other/more variables, so I am +1 for
the suggestion. See also pry acting a bit like an introspection-debugger, e. g.
"cd object; ls" what the object has (at the least as an idea).

I should, however had, also admit that I do not use the trace-var functionality
for global variables, primarily because I try to avoid global variables (and thus
use them so rarely that I don't need to trace anything), but also partially because
I am not completely sure whether I personally need that functionality. But still I
think it would be nice to have, so I agree from this point of view with igaiga.

I agree that :iasgn is a strange name but I guess other/better names can be used;
may be good to ask ko1 what he thinks about tracing (and exposing this for ruby
users) in principle (and of course matz whether he wants to expose functionality
to ruby users, but I think since we can trace global vars, it may be a related
topic to be able to trace other variables too).

Feature #15854: Tracing instance variable assignment