Issue #15843 has been reported by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun).

Misc #15843: Make "trunk" a symbolic-ref of "master" on git.ruby-lang.org
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15843

* Author: k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun)
* Assignee:
## Background

* We're using `trunk` branch as a canonical development branch because it has been mirrored to there by git-svn.
* In a usual git repository, a HEAD branch is `master` by default. Using `trunk` instead of `master` is confusing and causes typo on git operations or typing git-related URLs.
* We can make an *alias branch* by using symbolic-ref on `git.ruby-lang.org:ruby.git`. We can start using `master` branch without disturbing any `trunk` usage. Why not use it?

## Proposed operations

1. Announce the timing in this ticket. Do the step 3 at that timing.
2. Change [ruby-commit-hook](https://github.com/ruby/ruby-commit-hook/blob/571e88441e3cc3edb689a1b1798f2685b80f929c/bin/check-email.rb#L51) to accept both `refs/heads/trunk` and `refs/heads/master`.
3. **[Main part] Rename `trunk` to `master`, and make `trunk` a symbolic-ref of `master`.**
  * On git.ruby-lang.org, `sudo -u git bash -c "cd /var/git/ruby.git && mv refs/heads/trunk refs/heads/master && git symbolic-ref refs/heads/trunk refs/heads/master"`
4. [Optional] On git.ruby-lang.org, `sudo -u git bash -c "cd /var/git/ruby.git && git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/master"`
5. [Optional] Trigger GitHub mirror (create master branch on GitHub). On GitHub, change default branch to `master`.

### Expected outcome

* Push to `trunk` branch of git.ruby-lang.org will be reflected to both `trunk` and `master` branches of git.ruby-lang.org immediately.
* Push to `master` branch of git.ruby-lang.org will also be reflected to both `trunk` and `master` branches of git.ruby-lang.org immediately.
* Both of `trunk` and `master` branches on GitHub will be always mirrored.

### Out of scope (for a short term)

* Remove `trunk` branch
* Prohibit pushing to `trunk` branch
* Make `trunk` unavailable for clone