Indeed, AFAIK it's the ABI version.

MSP-Greg (Greg L) wrote:
> If the version with 'teeny' was used, one would be recompiling extension gems everytime a 'teeny' release was done?

Which IMHO is a safer thing to do, but I suppose some people disagree and it depends on the point of view :)

FWIW, I created https://github.com/postmodern/chruby/pull/410 so `chruby` would have a set of gems per installed Ruby version,
even if `RUBY_VERSION` or `RbConfig::CONFIG["ruby_version"]` doesn't change for alternative Ruby implementations between two releases.

Bug #15791: Clarify reason for RbConfig's ruby_version not reflecting "teeny" value