Issue #12698 has been updated by svoop (Sven Schwyn).

The suggestion by @knu is pretty cool if you think about it: Since both `sub` and `gsub` exist, the uncertainty whether only one or all occurrences are deleted is gone. Also, with this in place, `delete` could be deprecated IMO (and removed on Ruby 3 which will most likely break existing code in other places as well).

Feature #12698: Method to delete a substring by regex match

* Author: sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
There is frequent need to delete a substring from a string. There already are methods `String#delete` and `String#delete!`, but their feature is a little bit different from the use cases that I am mentioning here.

I request methods that take a string or a regexp as an argument, and delete the matches from the receiver string. I am not sure of the method name, and I will use the term `remove` here. It can be named in some other better way. I request all combinations of global vs. local, and non-destructive vs. destructive. The expected feature is something like the following. First, the non-destructive ones:

```ruby
"abcabc".remove("c") # => "ababc"
"abcabc".remove(/\zc/) # => "abcab"
"abcabc".gremove("c") # => "abab"