Issue #15778 has been reported by gsamokovarov (Genadi Samokovarov).

Feature #15778: Expose an API to pry-open the stack frames in Ruby
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15778

* Author: gsamokovarov (Genadi Samokovarov)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hello,

I'm the maintainer of the web-console (https://github.com/rails/web-console/) gem, where one of our features is to jump between the frames in which an error occurred. To accomplish this, I currently use the Debug Inspector CRuby API. I think we expose this functionality in Rubyland, so tools like web-console don't need to resort to C code for this. This also makes it quite harder for me to support different implementations like JRuby or TruffleRuby as everyone is having a different way to create Ruby Binding objects that represent the frames.

Here the API ideas:

Add `Thread::Backtrace::Location#binding` method that can create a binding for a specific caller of the current frame. We can reuse the existing `Kernel.caller_locations` method to generate the array of `Thread::Backtrace::Location` objects. We can optionally have the `Kernel.caller_locations(debug: true)` argument if we cannot generate the bindings lazily on the VM that can instruct the VM to do the slower operation.

- `Thread::Backtrace::Location#binding` returns `Binding|nil`. Nil result may mean that the current location is a C frame or a JITted/optimized frame and we cannot debug it.

We can also expose the DebugInspector API directly, as done in the https://github.com/banister/debug_inspector gem, but for tools like web-console, we'd need to map the bindings with the backtrace, as we cannot generate Bindings for every frame (C frames) and this needs to be done in application code, so I think the `Thread::Backtrace::Location#binding` is the better API for Ruby-land.

Such API can help us eventually write most of our debuggers in Ruby as right now we don't have a way to do Post-Mortem debugging without native code or even start our debuggers without monkey-patching `Binding`.

I have presented this idea in a RubyKaigi's 2019 talk called "Writing Debuggers in Plain Ruby", you can check-out the slides for more context: http://kaigi-debuggers-in-ruby.herokuapp.com.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/