Issue #15723 has been updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune).

sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada) wrote:
> Marc, regarding `|x, |`, I see plenty of cases like `map(&:first)` (or `map(&:last)`). Probably taking care of these cases is more important than the explicit `|x, |` cases. If you are going to count, you better count these in. And if directly using an implicit block variable `@1` is more efficient than calling `first` (which probably is the case), then replacing `map(&:first)` with `map{@1}` would make sense.

Did you try to verify any your assertions before commenting?

1) `&:first` and `{ @1 }` are not always equivalent, where `{ @1 }` could fail to show an error in the code or data. The "gain" is very disputable.

2) I got 174 occurrences of `&:first`, which adds to a negligible 0.03% contribution and is 5x less frequent that `|x, |`

3) There is no noticeable speed difference between `map(&:first)` and `map{ @1 }`

I don't know if you are serious or are trolling. This thread is about showing that `@1`, `@2` are not really useful and potential source of confusion / errors. I feel that proposing instead to extend this notation for accessing arguments in reverse order is not appropriate.

> If we are to adopt named implicit block variables instead, then we might simply name these something like `first` and `last`, and perhaps `whole` for the `x` in `|x|`.

Again, it's not clear to me if you are seriously proposing to add a source of incompatibility for something that I showed to be of little use.

Misc #15723: Reconsider numbered parameters