Issue #15723 has been updated by dvogel (Drew Vogel).

matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote:
> Yes, I admit `{ @1[@2] = "Go Fish: #{@2}" }` is cryptic. But `{@1 * @2}` is not. So use numbered parameters with care (just like other features in Ruby). The **possibility** to make code cryptic itself should not be the reason to withdraw a feature.

A small syntactic tweak could avoid overloading `@` while also making it possible for the meaning to be inferred:

```
h = Hash.new { *0[*1] = "Go Fish: #{*1}" }
```

Using the asterisk symbol and switching the indexes to base-0 makes this a shorthand for:

```
h = Hash.new { |*args| args[0][args[1]] = "Go Fish: #{args[1]}" }
```

The asterisk is already overloaded for multiplication and the splat operator. This means everyone already has to consider the context when mentally parsing it. Implied aliases for positional args are at least conceptually near to the splat operator. Much more so than the `@` symbol.

Misc #15723: Reconsider numbered parameters