On Oct 16, 2006, at 3:06 PM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> I'm curious as to why it's a good thing to make String nonenumerable
> and remove String#each instead of just aliasing lines to each?  Are
> there drawbacks which make it worthwhile breaking existing code?

Well, now that we're stepping into the M17N world it no longer makes
sense to work with Strings until we specify a unit for the content.
Each what?  Each character, line, or byte?

I really think this is a good move.  Every book that introduces
String#each says something like, "You probably don't expect this, but
Strings iterate over lines..."  Now it will always be crystal clear:

   my_str.chars.each { ... }

James Edward Gray II