Issue #15667 has been updated by sam.saffron (Sam Saffron).

File Screenshot_2019-03-28 Grafana - Compare Discourse Perf.png added

@mame / @carlos attached is a screenshot of side by side testing on live traffic patterns

containers run multiple ruby processes (a few unicorn workers and a sidekiq worker)

standard14 = Ruby 2.6.2 + jemalloc
standard14_a = Ruby 2.6.2 + glibc malloc
standard14_b = Ruby 2.6.2 + glibc malloc + patch

My conclusions from these graphs:

- Memory is clearly down with the patch
- 99th percentile performance is slightly impacted
- cpu is very slightly higher
- jemalloc still fairs better than glibc even after the patch

I think I would support a slightly amended patch that only does the trim once every say 10 minutes (maybe even in a background thread), happy to test that out as well.

That said... selfishly for Discourse this does not matter that much we will still stick with jemalloc cause memory is better and performance is better under jemalloc.

For the wider ruby community though a safer default is very appealing.

Feature #15667: Introduce malloc_trim(0) in full gc cycles