There would be a chance to optimize such expressions, but it is not a single literal syntactically, and constant folding is disabled in Ruby for its dynamic nature.
New literal syntax will be needed for an (impurely) imaginary number literal, but I doubt that we really need it.

Misc #15654: Documentation for Complex is wrong or misleading

* Author: sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada)
* Assignee:
The documentation for `Complex` https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.6/Complex.html says or implies that a complex can be created by literal like `2+1i`, but that is actually calling the method `+` on receiver `2` with argument `1i`. The description should be changed to make it clear that `2+ 1i` is not a literal but is applying a method.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/