Status changed from Open to Rejected

I don't think it's a bug of socket library.

arturmoczulski (Artur Moczulski) wrote:
> ## Result
> Ruby hangs infinitely.

No, it desn't.  It just takes a long time.  It properly exits after 60 seconds (from my machine at least).

> ## Expected
> Socket instance converted to an array representation (whatever that might be). I expect this as `to_a` comes from the `::Enumerable` mixin included in `::IO` - one of `::Socket`'s parent classes.

Right.  This expectation, by far, is accurate.

What is the key point here is that IO's to_a method is ultimately IO#each_line, which reads everything from the IO to split into lines.

In the reproduction code the socket connected to example.com:80, then waits for some response. But in HTTP, you have to send some request before you expect a response.  So the remote endpoint waits for your program to send something.  After some period of time the remote side gives up.  It closes the connection and everything resumes as expected.

> ## Background

I am not sure if your problem ultimately sources this behaviour.  Because this is a pretty much standardised protocol.

Bug #15636: ::Socket#to_a hangs Ruby interpreter