zverok (Victor Shepelev) wrote:
> Yes, 3 calls to `utc_offset` are kinda indirect, but the current implementation is also "indirect" in a sense it requires timezone library to calculate `Time` object but doesn't use it.

It is trivial, and is possible to change.
3 calls to `utc_offset` seems slower than 1 call to `local_to_utc`.

> What is worse is: if modern (2.6-aware) timezone library will try to make _proper_ Time object (using `Time.new` with its timezone object), there could be infinite recursion (because `Time` itself and timezone library would call each other).

You mean the case a timezone library calls `Time.new` in `utc_to_local` method?
`Time.new` with a timezone object would call `local_to_utc`, with a UTC time-like object, and the result should be UTC.

> That's because current requirements were designed with exactly one implementation in mind -- which is a third-party library with a legacy interface.

It was designed with another implementation, timezone gem, too.

> In fact, it is funny paradox that exactly this "legacy" feature (library is able to work with non-offsetted time, considering it as just "tuple of time values"). Maybe more robust API to require would be something like:
>
> ```ruby
> tz.utc_offset_by_tuple(2018, 3, 25, ...) # => consider it as a components of local time, return seconds offset
> ```

Non-offsetted Time-like object is used now.

> TZInfo itself solves it this way:
> ```ruby
> tz.local_time(2018, 10, 28, 3, 0, 0, 0)
> # TZInfo::AmbiguousTime (2018-10-28 03:00:00 is an ambiguous local time.)
> tz.local_time(2018, 10, 28, 3, 00, 0, 0, true) # last param is dst=true
> # => 2018-10-28 03:00:00 +0300
> tz.local_time(2018, 10, 28, 3, 00, 0, 0, false) # dst = false
> # => 2018-10-28 03:00:00 +0200
> ```

Yes I know, but another implementation in my mind, timezone, doesn't support `dst` argument.

Feature #15527: Redesign of timezone object requirements