Issue #15541 has been reported by baweaver (Brandon Weaver).

Feature #15541: Add alias symbolize_keys for symbolize_names kwarg for JSON.parse
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15541

* Author: baweaver (Brandon Weaver)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
https://github.com/ruby/psych/issues/341

When trying to symbolize keys on JSON parsing, it's really hard to remember the name `symbolize_names`:

```
JSON.parse(data, symbolize_names: true)
```

I would like to propose that we change this keyword to `symbolize_keys` to be more clear:

```
JSON.parse(data, symbolize_keys: true)
```

The documentation for this method also reflects the confusion: http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-2.6/libdoc/json/rdoc/JSON.html#method-i-parse-21

```
symbolize_names: If set to true, returns symbols for the names (keys) in a JSON object. Otherwise strings are returned. Strings are the default.
```

The same issue came up in Psych not too long ago:

https://github.com/ruby/psych/issues/341

I believe the current name causes confusion. Would it be possible to add an alias to this keyword for clarity?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/