Issue #15538 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

kke (Kimmo Lehto) wrote:
> In `Erb`, would it be possible to add a new trim mode that would indent the following content to match the depth of the tag? The tag could for example be `<%|` and it would be enabled using `Erb.new(template, trim_mode: '|')`

I think if we are going to add support for `<%|` and `<%|=` tags to ERB, it would be a better idea to use them to support output of captured blocks, as Erubi offers optional support for (https://github.com/jeremyevans/erubi#capturing).  This allows you to do things like:

~~~
<%|= form do %>
  <input>
<%| end %>
~~~

and have it output:

~~~
<form>
  <input>
</form>
~~~

assuming an appropriate definition of `form`.  This is basically what Rails does for normal `<%=` tags, but without attempting to parse ruby code with regexp (https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/5-2-stable/actionview/lib/action_view/template/handlers/erb/erubi.rb#L45-L61).

I'm not opposed to the idea of using a trim mode to modify indentation, but I think it should use a character other than `|` if support is added for it.

Feature #15538: Erb indenting / unindenting trim mode