nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> `#call` method is called by `Enumerable`, `Enumerator`, finalizer and `eval`.

Sorry, the last is `Signal`, not `eval`.

Bug #15428: Refactor Proc#>> and #<<

* Author: zverok (Victor Shepelev)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
#6284 introduced `Proc#>>` and `Proc#<<`, but the requirements to the argument is totally inconsistent with ANY other place in Ruby.

Currently, it is the **only** place in Ruby where coercing argument to `Proc` is done with `#call` method. Everywhere else it is done with `#to_proc`, and `#call` method never had any special significance except for `.()` sugar. I believe there are two possible actions:

1. change `#>>` and `#<<` to use `#to_proc` (which will give Symbols composability for free), **or, alternatively**
2. state that `#call` from now on has a special meaning in Ruby and probably decide on other APIs that should respect it (for example, auto-define `#to_proc` on any object that has `#call`)

Either is OK, the current situation is not.

PS: One more problem (that probably should be discussed separately) is that check for `#call` existence is performed pretty late, which can lead to this kind of errors:

```ruby
# At code loading time:

# I erroneously thought this is correct. It is not, but the line would perform without
# any error.
PROCESSOR = JSON.method(:parse) >> :symbolize_keys

# Later, in runtime:
'{"foo": "bar"}'.then(&PROCESSOR)
# NoMethodError (undefined method `call' for :symbolize_keys:Symbol)
```

**UPD 2018-12-29:** As this ticket was ignored prior to 2.6 release, I rewrote it in an "actionable" instead of "question" manner.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/