Status changed from Open to Assigned
Assignee set to shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe)

I had a chance this week to ask matz if he wants to allow bigger inputs or not for those methods.  He answered yes.  He prefers mod 256 behaviour for larger numbers.  I will fix them again.

Bug #15460: Behaviour of String#setbyte changed

* Author: gettalong (Thomas Leitner)
* Assignee: shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe)
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.6.0p0 (2018-12-25 revision 66547) [x86_64-linux]
* Backport: 2.4: DONTNEED, 2.5: DONTNEED, 2.6: REQUIRED
I just installed Ruby 2.6.0 for benchmarking reasons and found that the change [string.c: setbyte silently ignores upper bits](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby-trunk/repository/revisions/65804) broke my library/application HexaPDF.

Before using String#setbyte I tested how it would respond to values lower than 0 or greater than 255 and found that it automatically performed the needed modulo 256 operation (at least up to Ruby 2.5.3). Therefore I left out the explicit modulo operation for performance reasons.

Would it make sense to change the String#setbyte implementation to perform the modulo operation? This would restore compatibility with prior Ruby versions and may be what people would expect.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/