Assignee changed from matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) to mame (Yusuke Endoh)

Sorry for long absent.  We discussed this ticket at DevelopersMeeting20180419Japan, and matz decided to withdraw the deprecation of "String#bytes with block" and friends.  I'll remove the deprecation warnings soon.

Feature #6670: str.chars.last should be possible

* Author: yhara (Yutaka HARA)
* Assignee: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
* Target version: Next Major
=begin
Since str.chars returns an Enumerator, we need explicit to_a for some operations:

  str.chars.to_a.last
  str.chars.to_a[1,3]

But often I forget that and write:

  str.chars.last
  str.chars[1,3]

Besides that, I feel it is hard to explain why to_a is needed here when I'm writing
artilcles for Ruby beginners.

Simplest way to achieve this is to make String#chars (also #lines, #bytes and #codepoints)
return an Array. Since arrays have most of the methods defined in Enumerator, this will
not be a big change. For programs like str.chars.next, you can use each_char instead.
=end

6670.pdf (39.4 KB)
string_bytes_to_array.patch (27.4 KB)
0001-Deprecate-lines-bytes-chars-codepoints-of-IO-likes.patch (21.9 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/