Issue #15393 has been updated by sergey-posokhov (Sergey Posokhov).

File frequency-1.rb added
File frequency-2.rb added

> I would like to add VM compilation options to freeze array and hash literals.  For example:

My two samples:

~~~ ruby
#!/usr/local/bin/ruby -w

def frequency(text)
  def prepare_string(text)
    text.gsub!(",", "")
        .split(" ")                              #
  end                                            # <-- freeze the result and return it
                                                 #
  def sort_frequency_report(fq)
    fq.to_h
      .sort_by{|k, v| v }
      .reverse
      .to_h                                      #
  end                                            # <-- freeze the result and return it
                                                 #
  word_list = prepare_string(text)

  fq = Hash.new()

  for word in word_list
    if fq.has_key?(word)
      fq[word] += 1
    else
      fq[word] = 1
                                                 #
  sort_frequency_report(fq)                      # <-- freeze the result and return it
end                                              #

p frequency("text text text text
             text txet text text
             text text text")
~~~

And:

~~~ ruby
#!/usr/local/bin/ruby -w

def frequency(text)
  def prepare_string(text)
    text.gsub!(",", "")
        .split(" ")
  end

  def sort_frequency_report(fq)
    #                                            #
    # fq = Hash.new()                            # Why?!.. is it correct?..
    #                                            #

    fq.to_h
      .sort_by{|k, v| v }
      .reverse
      .to_h
  end

  word_list = prepare_string(text)

  fq = Hash.new()

  for word in word_list
    if fq.has_key?(word)
      fq[word] += 1
    else
      fq[word] = 1

  sort_frequency_report(fq)
end

p frequency("text text text text
             text txet text text
             text text text")
~~~

Feature #15393: Add compilation flags to freeze Array and Hash literals