Hi --

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Thomas Enebo wrote:

> dblack / wobblini.net wrote:
>> Hi --

>>> to_args is probably a bit more Rubyish, since *args is an oft-seen idiom.
>>
>> I think, though, that the goal is to have a way to define *anything
>> behavior, in ways that go beyond the arglist use case.
> One issue with naming is if you choose something too synonymy it becomes
> difficult to separate the meaning between them:  to_a, to_ary, to_list.   No
> suggestion. Just an observation that new Ruby users will end up getting
> pretty confused if they cannot distinguish between these method names.
> to_splat probably will be something most new users will ignore since they
> will have no idea what a splat is.

I'd rather not see things added to the language that are in the
category of "Don't bother trying to understand that because it doesn't
really mean anything" :-)  I know that's not exactly what you're
saying, but still, I think to_list is a reasonable name, if to_a[ry]
isn't considered adequate for a method for the * operator.

David

--
                   David A. Black | dblack / wobblini.net