tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson) wrote:
> I thought about doing this with ".freeze", introducing a special instruction the same way we do for the `"string".freeze` optimization, but dealing with deoptization in the case someone monkey patches the method seems like a pain.

I think it might semantically make some sense to ignore monkey-patching of `.freeze` (and `.deep_freeze`) for calls on literals, which would then avoid needing deoptimization for this (although deoptimization would be a flag check + the current logic as fallback, it doesn't seem so bad).
It's somewhat similar to String literals not calling String#initialize for instance (same for Array, Hash).
And it's probably a bad idea to override #freeze in the hope it would be used on frozen literals anyway, as of course this would only work if the monkey-patch is reliably loaded before everything else.

Another issue is it's quite ugly to opt out of frozen array/hash literals, if a mutable copy is wanted:

```ruby
# frozen_hash_and_array_literal: true
my_mutable_data = { 'a' => ['b', { 'c' => 'd' }.dup].dup }.dup
```

That's why I think `deep_freeze` would better express the intent in some cases, and be finer-grained:

```ruby
MY_CONSTANT = { 'a' => ['b', { 'c' => 'd' }] }.deep_freeze
my_mutable_data = { 'a' => ['b', { 'c' => 'd' }] }

{ :defaults => 'thing' }.deep_freeze.merge(some_hash)
```

and this would work regardless of what is the value to freeze (but only avoid allocations if it's all literals, otherwise a constant must be used).

Furthermore, frozen literals don't allow composition or extraction in different constants:
```ruby
# frozen_hash_and_array_literal: true
MY_KEY = 'a'
MY_CONSTANT = { MY_KEY => ['b', { 'c' => 'd' }] } # Not frozen, and breaks referential transparency

MY_CONSTANT = { MY_KEY => ['b', { 'c' => 'd' }] }.deep_freeze # Works
```

OTOH, "string".freeze has shown the magic comment is much nicer in many cases than adding "string".freeze in many places (at the price of making a mutable String not so nice, but those seem rarer).
It would be interesting to get an idea of what's a typical ratio of immutable/mutable Array and Hash literals, and what converting a codebase to use frozen Array/Hash literals would look like.

Feature #15393: Add compilation flags to freeze Array and Hash literals