Issue #15393 has been updated by janfri (Jan Friedrich).

shan (Shannon Skipper) wrote:
> I had the same thought as shevy, that it'd be nice to have a:
>
> ~~~ ruby
> # frozen_literals: true
> ~~~
>
> It might also be worth considering a separate `frozen_array_literal` and `frozen_hash_literal`. I have files where I'd initially only want to enable one of the above.

+1

Feature #15393: Add compilation flags to freeze Array and Hash literals

* Author: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hi,

I would like to add VM compilation options to freeze array and hash literals.  For example:

~~~ ruby
frozen = RubyVM::InstructionSequence.compile(<<-eocode, __FILE__, nil, 0, frozen_string_literal: true, frozen_hash_and_array_literal: true)
  { 'a' => ['b', { 'c' => 'd' }] }
eocode
puts frozen.disasm
~~~

Output is:

~~~
$ ./ruby thing.rb
== disasm: #<ISeq:<compiled>@thing.rb:0 (0,0)-(0,34)> (catch: FALSE)
0000 putobject                    {"a"=>["b", {"c"=>"d"}]}
0002 leave
~~~

Anything nested in the hash that can't be "frozen" will cause it to not be frozen.

For example:

~~~ ruby
not_frozen = RubyVM::InstructionSequence.compile(<<-eocode, __FILE__, nil, 0, frozen_string_literal: true, frozen_hash_and_array_literal: true)
  { 'a' => some_method }
eocode
puts not_frozen.disasm
~~~

Output:

~~~
$ ./ruby thing.rb
== disasm: #<ISeq:<compiled>@thing.rb:0 (0,0)-(0,24)> (catch: FALSE)
0000 putobject                    "a"
0002 putself
0003 opt_send_without_block       <callinfo!mid:some_method, argc:0, FCALL|VCALL|ARGS_SIMPLE>, <callcache>
0006 newhash                      2
0008 leave
~~~

Eventually I would like to freeze array and hash literals in source code itself, but I think this is a good first step.

The reason I want this feature is I think we can reduce some object allocations, and once Guilds are implemented, easily create immutable data.

I've attached a patch that implements the above.

(Also I think maybe "frozen_literals" would be a better name, but I don't want to imply that numbers or booleans are frozen too)

Thanks!

0001-Add-compile-options-for-freezing-hash-and-array-lite.patch (6.14 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/