Issue #5400 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I only got to know it after having read the news entry just now. :-)

I think the impact of its removal will be very, very little - not
many need it; and I am sure even less depend on it. Personally after
having seen it, I would not use it because it (to me) seems not
worth getting my brain to try to understand what it is doing. I
like to write extremely simple code that I can very quickly
understand.

I think the only question is whether matz is ok with the removal
(possibly if it was changed already), considering his statement about
avoiding backwards-incompatible change until 3.0 - but I think in this
case, it will really just about not affect anyone. I do not recall even
having seen flip flop used in real code in the last ~10 years or
so even including having checked quite a few gems by other people
on rubygems.org. Personally I think it is good to remove it - makes
ruby a tiny bit simpler to understand. :D
(Ternary + flip-flop is a bit to the mind like this language that
starts with Brain ...)

Feature #5400: Remove flip-flops in 2.0