On 10/8/06, dblack / wobblini.net <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > |It makes one more thing to remember about Ruby 1.9, which is a bigger
> > |language than Ruby 1.8, which is a bigger language than Ruby 1.6. You
> > |don't have to compete with Perl 6, and you don't even have to compare Ruby
> > |2 to Perl 6 thinking how much simpler Ruby 2 is.
> >
> > Every language grows in more recent version, as Ruby does, and PL/I
> > did, until it grows too much to collapse into a black hole by its own
> > gravity.  It's kind a like destiny.  Otherwise the language will die.
> >
> > For people who don't like growing languages, the current 1.8 was
> > forked off from the development line (or perhaps, 1.9 was forked off
> > from the stable line).  They will be happy using "stable" Ruby.
>
> I think you should trust yourself more :-)  Growing doesn't have to
> mean growing in size.  Think of all those Ruby programs that get
> *smaller* -- and more expressive -- as one works on them....

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
when there is nothing left to take away."
        Antoine de Saint-Exupery
        French writer (1900 - 1944)

"I have made this [letter] longer, because I have not had the time to
make it shorter."
        Blaise Pascal, "Lettres provinciales", letter 16, 1657
        French mathematician, physicist (1623 - 1662)

---John