Issue #12698 has been updated by svoop (Sven Schwyn).

matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote:
> I don't think it's worth adding which is easily done by `sub/gsub`.

Easily done, yes, but Ruby being a very expressive language, the following two are not equally readable:

* `"foo test bar".gsub(/ test/, '')`
* `"foo test bar".delete(/ test/)`

Personally, I've never used `String#delete` in almost 10 years of Ruby coding. It will be much more useful a method (and still downwards compatible) if it shifts from `String#delete([other_str]+)` to `String#delete([pattern|other_str]+)`.

Feature #12698: Method to delete a substring by regex match