Issue #15286 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I think one possible question in regards to the suggestion here is whether the above method may be useful
on its own, even without a shorthand syntax for Hash. (This is really just a question; I personally am
not really having any strong pro/con opinion.)

I also understand that using a method is different compared to the other two proposals. For example,

    { a }
    { a: a}

and

    {x, y}
    {x: x, y: y}

is different to:

    meth = 42
    p expand(:meth) # => {:meth=>42}

So using a method is different to the other two proposals (in the two older
issue request, by Ignatius and Shugo Maeda). Perhaps one or more use cases
could be described for a new method to be useful even without the hash
shorthand notation? I can not think of a good one right now but perhaps others
have some ideas.

Feature #15286: Proposal: Add Kernel.#expand(*args)