Issue #15236 has been updated by blakewest (Blake West).

Hi all,
I've really wanted a feature like this for a long time. I find myself often using named arguments, which I love for the clarity. But then the callers often have variables of the same name as the parameter name, making it more verbose. eg. `foo(bar: bar, baz: baz)`. If one concern here is that `{a, b, c}` looks like set syntax, then I'd be curious to get opinions on a different syntax I had thought about for a while. The general idea is to extend the `%w` idea for hashes. For example, we could do `%h{foo bar baz}` which would expand into `{foo: foo, bar: bar, baz: baz}`. In both the "%w" and "%h" cases, we're allowing for a more concise version of an often used pattern.
I think the downside is using a `%h` syntax feels "separated" from the typical hash syntax. Using a straight `{a,b,c}` is "cleaner" as there are fewer characters, and may be more intuitive to some.
But similarly, I think that actually the upside of this syntax is it's more "separated". As Matz points out, the `{a,b,c}` syntax could look like set syntax, and as shevegen points out, it could be confusing for beginners. Neither of these problems would exist using %h, as it would pretty clearly be a "special" syntax, used by people who know what it's doing. Also, using `%h{}` would enable not having to use commas, which could make it even more compact

I'll leave with a few more examples of what I'd be suggesting.

~~~ ruby
def foo(param1:, param2:)
  param + param2
end

param1 = 7
param2 = 42

foo(%h{param1 param2})

def respond_with(resource, options)
  meta = extract_meta(resource, options)
  etc = extract_etc(resource, options)

  %h{ resource meta etc }
end

# destructuring could obviously be left for later.
%h{data meta etc} = {data: [1,2,3], meta: {mobile: true}, etc: "more info"}
~~~

Thoughts?

Feature #15236: add support for hash shorthand