Issue #15261 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I would recommend to you, if you would like to, to add your request to the next
developer meeting at:

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15229

It is such a small change that it may be quickly approved before the upcoming
x-mas release of ruby and the developer meeting is where it may be easier to
discuss functionality if necessary; or direct approval too. (I assume that the
closer we are to the x-mas release, the more likely it may be for new features
for ruby to be postponed into next year; for small changes such as this one
here, perhaps this can be easily done before the x-mas release, though.)

I would also recommend to add or expand on the small use case describing what
could be done in pry; just something short. May be useful for irb as well in
the long run. (I myself use Readline a lot, so I am always happy that others
make use of readline as well, from ruby. I often use Readline because it is
very convenient for commandline applications written in ruby to access a
history or use the up-arrow for history, so I understand use cases pertaining
to it. Readline makes user input so much more convenient compared to
traditional $stdin.gets)

Feature #15261: Expose rl_variable_value as Readline.variable_value