Issue #15247 has been reported by MSP-Greg (Greg L).

Bug #15247: Windows - TEMP folder, non 8.3 & drive, fails & errors in test-all (ruby & rdoc)
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15247

* Author: MSP-Greg (Greg L)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
While working with Azure pipelines, two issues came up related to the TEMP folder.

1\. The standard Windows TEMP folder is located in a user directory.  The user for pipeplines is 'buildguest', which is greater than 8 characters, and hence, its short and long paths differ.  When I created a new user account locally on Windows 10, both ENV['TEMP'] and ENV['TMP'] were set to the short path.

This is causes two failures in `test/rdoc/test_rdoc_rdoc.rb` and one failure in `test_dir.rb`, the failures are listed in the attached file temp_short-long.txt.

2\. Azure pipelines has the normal TEMP folder on drive C:, but, unlike Appveyor, the repo is placed on drive D:.  This causes one failure in `test/rdoc/test_rdoc_options.rb`, and two errors from the same file, but in the std-Lib file `pathname.rb`.  See attached file temp_drive.txt.

I'm not really sure what I think the solution for this is, as the issue is really due to Windows setting ENV['TEMP'] and ENV['TMP'] to short paths.  I do recall the same issues happened on my old multi-drive desktop system.  At the time, there were more significant issues with build/test, so I reconfigured the env for that...

temp_drive.txt (1.86 KB)
temp_short-long.txt (5.32 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/