Issue #15236 has been updated by Ksec (Ed Chick).

shevegen (Robert A. Heiler) wrote:
> Matz wrote in the other thread the following:
>
> "I am not positive about this syntax mostly because it appears to be set syntax, or old style hash in 1.8.
> Once ES6 syntax become more popular, there will be chance for this change in the future.
>
> Matz."
>
> So I guess it could be discussed at another developer meeting in the future.

 But that comment was made three years ago. Time to do another review?

Feature #15236: add support for hash shorthand

* Author: ignatiusreza (Ignatius Reza Lesmana)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
PR in github: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/1990

inspired by javascript support for object literal shorthand notation `{ a }`, which will be expanded into `{ a: a }`..

to avoid ambiguity, this shorthand is only supported when hash is defined with `{ }` notation.. in other situation where the brackets is optional, e.g. function call, we still need to write it in full (`m(a : a)` instead of `m(a)`, or `m(a, b, c: c)` instead of `m(a, b, c)`..

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/