Issue #15049 has been updated by bherms (Bradley Herman).

duerst (Martin Drst) wrote:
> Maybe I'm totally confused, but what's wrong with using **keyword_arguments?

I agree with zverok's answer.

The main reason for not just doing **args is that you lose several of the benefits of using keyword arguments in the first place: 1) lowering connascence , 2) enforcing requirements (required kargs), 3) settings defaults.

~~~ ruby
def post(required:, other_required:, defaulted: 'default')
end

def post(**kargs)
  raise ArgumentError, 'missing keyword "required"' unless kargs.has_key?(:required)
  raise ArgumentError, 'missing keyword "other_required"' unless kargs.has_key?(:other_required)
  kargs.reverse_merge!(defaulted: 'default')
end
~~~

Those two method definitions are *very* different IMO and the first is far superior.  Obviously we could DRY up the required argument checks, but it still wouldn't be ideal.

Feature #15049: [Request] Easily access all keyword arguments within a method