Issue #15209 has been reported by MSP-Greg (Greg L).

Bug #15209: r64925 order-only-prerequisites - make tagets - breaking change
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15209

* Author: MSP-Greg (Greg L)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
This commit has changed behavior of make targets such that make install or make install-nodoc is now running tests.

Viewing Travis history shows that before the commit trunk builds took approx 17 - 23 minutes, they are now taking up to 49 minutes.  If you view the log for Travis Job #27742.2:

https://api.travis-ci.org/v3/job/437903711/log.txt

First off, it's 222k lines.  test-all is being done three times, test-spec is being done twice.

I'm not particular about target naming, but I think targets simiar in functionality to what was available before r64925 should continue to be available.

Since MinGW has been added to CI, ruby-loco can be focused on whether a correct install is being built/packaged.

All its tests are run without make on install.  All tests are going to separate log files (one each for STDOUT & STDERR), and the tests are also wrapped in a timer such that, regardless of whether one suite freezes/locks, all tests are run.  Because of this, I need separate targets for each.  JFYI, most of the changes needed to run on install were in RubyGems & mkmf.

Of course, I'm still interested in consistent, reliable, and repeatable testing.  Random is also a goal...

Thanks, Greg

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/