Issue #15170 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I do not have any pro or con opinion (I rarely use webrick these days) but I
think if you can retain backward compatibility then this may make any patch
in this regard a lot easier.

If you have the time, I would like to suggest to you to consider having a
look at the code over a weekend or another one and consider a pull request -
even if it may not be perfect, I am sure others can comment on it leading
to improvements.

I think what may help the most, though, is if you can manage to get one or
the other from the ruby core team to comment on the proposal; from my
experience this helps quite a bit. (And you can also suggest it for a
ruby developer meeting, even though it is a very small change; but perhaps
small changes can be discussed quickly. I do not know how the developer
meetings work in practice, but I assume that certain issues take a lot
more time to discuss.)

Next developer meeting is here:

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15129

But of course you can also wait and let others comment on the issue here,
which may take some time perhaps.

Bug #15170: Allow WEBrick::HTTPServlet::initialize to accept an array in server[:CGIInterpreter]