POSIX states successfully opened file descriptors should be **non-negative**.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/open.html#tag_16_357_04
> #### RETURN VALUE
>
> Upon successful completion, these functions shall open the file and return a non-negative integer representing the file descriptor. Otherwise, these functions shall return -1 and set errno to indicate the error. If -1 is returned, no files shall be created or modified.

pty.c should be more defensive too, thank you for pointing out.

Bug #15116: Fixing issues detected by an Analysis tool.

* Author: jaruga (Jun Aruga)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
When running a code analysis tool including several sub tools (mainly Coverty [1]), some issues were detected by it.
You can refer attached issues_report.txt for detail.

Some issues in the issues_report.txt might be false positive.
(Those might be wrongly detected.)

I tried to fix those by below 2 pull-requests.
https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/1956
https://github.com/ruby/net-telnet/pull/15

The summary is
* Fix leaked storage in addr2line.c.
* Fix passing freed pointer as an argument in gc.c.
* Fix leaked handle variable "n" in process.c.
* Fix for "top_root" leaking the resource.

After above patches, the issues were not detected.
But I need your help to check if my code is valid.

Thank you.

[1] https://scan.coverity.com/

issues_report.txt (7.74 KB)

--