jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) wrote:
> mame (Yusuke Endoh) wrote:

> > This change seems to remind you the breaking change of character encoding in 1.9/2.0, but it was much worse than this change because the previous one was not trivial "where to fix".  The site where an error occurred was often different to the site where a wrong encoding string was created.
>
> I disagree.  I migrated many applications and libraries from Ruby 1.8 to Ruby 1.9 (and later to Ruby 2.6).  The changes for Ruby 1.8 -> 1.9 were minimal in comparison with the impact of this change, in terms of the amount of code that needed to be modified.

I think the amount of changes from Ruby 1.8 to Ruby 1.9 depended a lot on what kind of processing your application did, and what kind of data was involved. If you mostly just worked with US-ASCII data, the changes needed were minimal. For other data, in particular also for Japanese data, some kinds of processing may have been heavily affected.

Feature #14183: "Real" keyword argument