--8323328-862222112-11581968333856

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, matz wrote:

>  Log:
>    * string.c (rb_str_intern): allow symbols to contains nul.
>    * string.c (sym_inspect): symbol may contain nul.

Hi, I wanted to try the above, and hit the following problem doing make
install:

Generating RDoc documentation
./miniruby  ./runruby.rb --extout=.ext -- "./bin/rdoc" --all --ri --op
"/home/matju/share/ri/1.9/system" "."
/debian64/home/matju/src/ruby-cvs/ruby/lib/rdoc/rdoc.rb:86:in
`String#intern': Insecure: can't intern tainted string (SecurityError)
         from /debian64/home/matju/src/ruby-cvs/ruby/lib/rdoc/rdoc.rb:86

Which I saw was a feature introduced in a commit a few days (hours?) ago.

Besides, given that symbols can contain nulls now, why are symbols still
prevented from being of null length? It's something that has been a
problem in mapping Ruby to another language (PureData) in which
empty-string symbols are (abnormally) common.

Thanks.