Issue #15012 has been updated by MSP-Greg (Greg L).

Given that Appveyor/Windows MSYS2/MinGW also has gcc 8.2.0 available (ruby-loco uses it), seems like a good idea to me.  One would hope that newer gcc releases are also better optimized for JIT...

Off topic - about Appveyor testing - MSYS2/MinGW - `mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain` is gcc.  There is also a `base-devel` group.  ruby-loco updates both, but toolchain is probably all that is required...

Misc #15012: Testing on latest version gcc on Travis CI

* Author: jaruga (Jun Aruga)
* Assignee:
Ruby's Travis CI [1] is running on gcc 4.8.4 as the default behavior of Travis gcc setting.
Right now gcc's latest version is 8.
Though it is important to test on the old version gcc-4.8, also it is meaningful to test on the latest version gcc, knowing we have RubyCI. [2]

The benefit to run on gcc-8 is
* We can care the issue on the latest version of gcc easier, such as visualizing the build warnings on the log.
* We can show contributors or developers how ruby could be built on the latest version gcc.

I sent the pull-request [3] to show the code as a proposal.

[1] https://travis-ci.org/ruby/ruby
[2] https://rubyci.org/
[3] https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/1937

--