On 2018/08/14 9:42, Eric Wong wrote:
> I am thinking of adding preemption support to this feature for
> compatibility with 1.8

So that "auto-fiber" proposal is to provide green threads like Ruby 1.8?

Like:
```
   model 1: Userlevel Thread
     Same as traditional ruby thread.
```
in thread.c comment (I wrote 13 years ago!).

I don't against this idea, but I think it is hard to select these
options by Ruby programmers. I think changing Thread implementation
model from native thread (1:1 model) to green thread mode (1:N model) is
better for Ruby programmers.

To change them, we need to discuss pros. and cons. of them carefully.
There are several good points (the biggest advantage of 1:1 model is
friendly for outer libraries) but are bad points (1:1 model has
performance penalties, and recent glibc malloc arena issues and so on).

I don't think it is a good idea to choose such internal implementation
by Ruby programmers. ... easy?

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net