Issue #14979 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

Interesting. My Linux-environment, in ruby via ENV, has 810 entries and
I have no problem.

How did you clear the PATH variable by the way?

  ENV['PATH'] = ''

?

Do you think you could do a little testing, e. g. generate
some fake file for variables, then load this up before
e. g. entering IRB?

Perhaps the error has to do with PATH. I am of course just
guessing. Does your PATH happen to have any "\" character
as such? I mention this because I know that even on Linux,
things can become sort of screwy.

Either way, I think the above error should not happen because
the moment you are in IRB or execute some .rb file, such an
error should not appear, in my opinion, since ruby should be
in full control of its "niche" on Windows (once it does
run).

It sounds a lot like a bug so it may be fixed quite quickly
once it is found out where the error is, which is why I think
it may help if you could isolate the problem a little - I
think there must be something in the environment variables
that causes things to be screwy; can you publish the PATH
variable with which things do not work here, if you can?
Or the minimal PATH that can reproduce the error for your
system.

Bug #14979: Invalid argument - ruby_setenv(SURVEY) (Errno::EINVAL)