Another followup on this, current glibc 2.28 still creates
arenas without checking for contention, first.  It can create
(nproc * 8) arenas on 64-bit and (nproc * 2) on 32-bit.

I might be able to work on improving the situation in glibc, but
the current glibc defaults makes no sense given our GVL for the
vast majority of Ruby programs.

Since glibc 2.26, tcache is also provided so that can
mitigate most contention problems a Ruby program would
encounter, lessening the need for multiple arenas.