Issue #14718 has been updated by mperham (Mike Perham).

Sam, I'm ok with your suggestion, any progress here is welcome.  The main issue with tcmalloc is that Ruby doesn't support it out of the box with a `--with-tcmalloc` flag.  Are you using LD_PRELOAD instead?

Feature #14718: Use jemalloc by default?

* Author: mperham (Mike Perham)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I know Sam opened #9113 4 years ago to suggest this but I'm revisiting the topic to see if there's any movement here for Ruby 2.6 or 2.7.  I supply a major piece of Ruby infrastructure (Sidekiq) and I keep hearing over and over how Ruby is terrible with memory, a huge memory hog with their Rails apps.  My users switch to jemalloc and a miracle occurs: their memory usage drops massively.  Some data points:

https://twitter.com/brandonhilkert/status/987400365627801601
https://twitter.com/d_jones/status/989866391787335680
https://github.com/mperham/sidekiq/issues/3824#issuecomment-383072469

Redis moved to jemalloc many years ago and it solved all of their memory issues too.  Their conclusion: the glibc allocator "sucks really really hard". http://oldblog.antirez.com/post/everything-about-redis-24.html

This is a real pain point for the entire Rails community and would improve Ruby's reputation immensely if we can solve this problem.

glibc_arena_2.png (7.23 KB)
jemalloc.png (21.1 KB)
glibc-arena-2.log (60.3 KB)
glibc.log (62.3 KB)