Issue #14915 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

File 0001-Deprecate-String-crypt.patch added
Subject changed from Deprecate String#crypt, move implementation to string/crypt to Deprecate String#crypt

I've released a string-crypt gem based on the previous patch: https://github.com/jeremyevans/ruby-string-crypt

The gem has some minor differences in `extconf.rb`, because it needs to avoid overlap with macros defined in `ruby/config.h`.  It also supports an environment variable during compilation to force use of the internal DES-crypt implementation, useful for testing support (especially on OpenBSD where crypt(3) doesn't support DES-crypt).  I would appreciate users of other operating systems testing it and letting me know if anything breaks.

Attached is an updated patch that just deprecates String#crypt without making any changes, and updates the tests to handle the deprecation warnings.

Feature #14915: Deprecate String#crypt

* Author: jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
This method is system and implementation dependent, and the
portable usage mentioned in the documentation is not truly
portable (doesn't work on OpenBSD) and insecure as it uses DES.
For systems that lack a crypt(3) implementation, Ruby will
happily substitute a version that only supports DES.  It's 2018,
using DES should be avoided if at all possible.

The only internal usage of String#crypt in Ruby is in Webrick,
where it uses DES for basic authentication with an htpasswd file.
That could and should be changed to use a more secure hash by
default (bcrypt since that's the most secure htpasswd format),
or at least allow the user to customize Webrick's authentication.
I expect there are few if any users actively using Webrick's
htpasswd support.

This moves the String#crypt implementation to the string/crypt
extension, but leaves the String#crypt core method.  The core
method prints a deprecation warning, then loads the string/crypt
extension. The string/crypt extension undefines the String#crypt
core method, then defines the previous implementation.

Because extensions use extconf.rb instead of configure for their
configuration, this ports the related configure.ac code to
extconf.rb.  I'm not sure that is done correctly and works on
all platforms, it will need testing.

For systems that lack a crypt(3) implementation, this modifies the
fallback code to only define crypt_r, since that is the only
function that String#crypt will call in that case.

While the patch just deprecates String#crypt, I think
we should plan to remove support from ruby:

2.6: core method deprecated
2.7: core method removed, string/crypt extension ships with ruby
2.8: string/crypt extension moves to external gem, not shipped

0001-Deprecate-String-crypt-move-implementation-to-string.patch (20.5 KB)
0001-Deprecate-String-crypt.patch (7.48 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/