Feature #14924: // floor division operator

* Author: deneb (Sbastien Durand)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hello!

In my job, I have to do many math operations. And it's kind of a pain because of integer division (3 / 2 == 1). I have to constantly cast integers to floats.

Would it be a good idea to always return a float when you divide two numbers? I mean, 99% of the time you just want that. (The principle of least surprise.)

Python is doing that just right:

~~~ python
3 / 2 == 1.5
3 // 2 == 1
~~~

http://python-reference.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docs/operators/floor_division.html

I don't know if it's too much of a breaking change though? Maybe for Ruby3x3?

Thanks.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/