mame / ruby-lang.org wrote:
> We first need to remove the usage of String#crypt from WEBrick.  @normalperson, the maintainer of WEBrick, what do you think?  Is it possible and acceptable?  If it is not, we can't deprecate String#crpyt as long as WEBrick is bundled.
> If normalperson agrees with the removal, we then ask @jeremyevans0 to release compatibility-layer gem by 2.6 release.  If the release is succeeded, we can deprecate the core method, with a deprecation message like "String#crypt is deprecated; use `string-crypt' gem".
> And finally, after @normalperson removed the dependency from WEBrick in any way, we will remove the core method, maybe in 3.x.

It's only the BasicAuth code and I have no idea how many people
use it; probably not many, but I don't want to break a single
user setup without adequate notice.

Even if BasicAuth is broken/removed/requires-extra-download,
most WEBrick can use the rest without difficulty.

WEBrick has several other authentication methods; which one do
we recommend users migrate to?  I am not an expert in this area
(I don't like authentication at all).