If the requirement is adding a predicate method to check if a string contains only characters with space property (defined by Unicode), it's OK to add the method. I am not fully satisfied with the name `blank?` because it can cause confusion whether it checks a character in a string or all characters in a string. `blank?` is still acceptable though it's not the best.

Regarding `present?`, I am not going to agree.

Matz.

Feature #12306: Implement String #blank? #present? and improve #strip and family to handle unicode

* Author: sam.saffron (Sam Saffron)
* Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
* Target version:
Time and again there have been rejected feature requests to Ruby core to implement `blank` and `present` protocols across all objects as ActiveSupport does. I am fine with this call and think it is fair.

However, for the narrow case of String having `#blank?` and `#present?` makes sense.

- Provides a natural extension over `#strip`, `#lstrip` and `#rstrip`. `("   ".strip.length == 0) == "    ".blank?`

- Plays nicely with ActiveSupport, providing an efficient implementation in Ruby core: see: https://github.com/SamSaffron/fast_blank, implementing blank efficiently requires a c extension.

However, if this work is to be done, `#strip` and should probably start dealing with unicode blanks, eg:

```
irb(main):008:0> [0x3000].pack("U")
=> "กก"
irb(main):009:0> [0x3000].pack("U").strip.length
=> 1
```

So there are 2 questions / feature requests here

1. Can we add blank? and present? to String?
2. Can we amend strip and family to account for unicode per: https://github.com/SamSaffron/fast_blank/blob/master/ext/fast_blank/fast_blank.c#L43-L74

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/