merch-redmine / jeremyevans.net wrote:
> Because extensions use extconf.rb instead of configure for their
> configuration, this ports the related configure.ac code to
> extconf.rb.  I'm not sure that is done correctly and works on
> all platforms, it will need testing.

More exts increase build and maintenance time.  Right now, the
easiest and safest step would be to only deprecate it, but
keep it in core.

While I don't care for #crypt, I'd like to move some tiny exts
like fiber, io/wait, io/nonblock directly into core; because
DSOs increase memory usage and slow down startup:

	https://udrepper.livejournal.com/8790.html

> While the patch just deprecates String#crypt, I think
> we should plan to remove support from ruby:
>
> 2.6: core method deprecated
> 2.7: core method removed, string/crypt extension ships with ruby
> 2.8: string/crypt extension moves to external gem, not shipped

Way too fast.  I agree with deprecation, but any removal should
take long-term distro release cycles (5-10 years) into account.