Issue #14902 has been reported by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun).

Misc #14902: Replace benchmark/driver.rb with benchmark_driver.gem
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14902

* Author: k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun)
* Assignee: k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun)
## What's benchmark_driver.gem?
benchmark_driver.gem is a gem created by a project accepted as Ruby Association Grant 2017.
https://github.com/benchmark-driver/benchmark-driver

This is built as a general-purpose benchmark driver for Ruby and allows to collect any metric and to output in any way by writing plugins.

## Why to replace benchmark/driver.rb?
First of all, the benchmark_driver.gem is created as a successor of benchmark/driver.rb, requested by ko1 (author of benchmark/driver.rb).
After the yesterday's project report of Ruby Association Grant 2017, ko1 and I agreed to replace benchmark/driver.rb with benchmark_driver.gem.
So I'll start working on this.

## How to replace benchmark/driver.rb?
Some metrics supported by benchmark/driver.rb can't be collected by benchmark_driver.gem by default for now, but I'll leave them as plugins of benchmark_driver.gem.
It's a gem implemented outside this repository, but I'm going to implement make task to clone the gem repository like simplecov.

Unfortunately the scripts in benchmark directory can't be run by benchmark_driver.gem by default. So I'll implement some wrapper script to allow benchmark_driver.gem to run them at first, rewrite benchmark scripts to benchmark_driver.gem format one by one, drop old scripts and benchmark/driver.gem in the end.

During the migration, I'm going to keep the interface of `make benchmark` and `make benchmark-each`, but directly running benchmark/driver.rb will be broken at some moment.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/