Issue #14844 has been updated by ioquatix (Samuel Williams).

Rather than create a new issue, I want to comment here, as I've also been using the new `RubyVM::AST` to compute code coverage of templates (think ERB templates). In the past, the existing `coverage.so` was not capable to parse a string, so being able to compute it by hand using `RubyVM::AST` is a great boon.

When using `RubyVM::AST::Node#type`, the return value is a string. I wondered if it would make more sense to return a symbol. Rather than a string like `"NODE_SCOPE"`, perhaps return a symbol like `:scope`. It would make it easier and perhaps more efficient to traverse the AST, and it seems more Ruby-like.

Feature #14844: Future of RubyVM::AST?

* Author: rmosolgo (Robert Mosolgo)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hi! Thanks for all your great work on the Ruby language.

I saw the new RubyVM::AST module in 2.6.0-preview2 and I quickly went to try it out.

I'd love to have a well-documented, user-friendly way to parse and manipulate Ruby code using the Ruby standard library, so I'm pretty excited to try it out. (I've been trying to learn Ripper recently, too: https://ripper-preview.herokuapp.com/, https://rmosolgo.github.io/ripper_events/ .)

Based on my exploration, I opened a small PR on GitHub with some documentation: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/1888

I'm curious though, are there future plans for this module? For example, we might:

- Add more details about each node (for example, we could expose the names of identifiers and operators through the node classes)
- Document each node type

I see there is a lot more information in the C structures that we could expose, and I'm interested to help out if it's valuable. What do you think?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/