Bill Kelly <billk / cts.com> wrote:
> Could it help at all to delegate to a single "JIT Controller" daemon?

That's akr's initial idea [ruby-core:87608] but that uses more
memory.  We already have resource problems with timer-thread
creation in the test suite.

A SIGCHLD-based implementation will also integrate better for
proposed features such as auto-Fibers.

Maybe platforms with lossy/racy signals (OSX? [ruby-core:87657])
can put timer-thread in polling mode when there are threads
calling waitpid.  Perhaps win32 can do that, too, since their
timer-thread is always polling regardless.

I'm pretty sure all other BSD, Solaris and Linux systems get
SIGCHLD correctly.